Did you know you can grow your own moss and it is really easy! Moss is great for giving things such as new statues or walls, an aged, shabby chic feel. Moss can make things feel as if they are part of the garden and have been there forever. I have included some great examples of where you could grow your own moss further down but the possibilities are endless.
What You Need:
|A Blender||Two cups of Water||Two cups of Butter Milk||A Paint Brush|
You will need Approx. 5in x 5in sample of moss dead or alive from your garden or purchased from a nursery.
- Pour the water and buttermilk into the blender
- Add the moss
- Blend until you have a thick milkshake like consistency and the moss has separated.
- Paint or pour the mixture on where ever you want the moss to grow. You can even write things on walls, the possibilities are endless.
- Keep the moss moist for the first couple of weeks; using a mister is great for this.
- Moss usually grows quicker in shady areas.
- Within about 3 weeks you should start to see some growth.
- If you are going to paint shapes or letters you might want to use a template.
It really is that easy to grow your own moss. Have you done anything like this? Please do share your pictures with us on our Facebook page.
N.B. This article has been written for Australian gardens. If you're reading this from around the world, we do hope you've found it a useful stepping stone for your own further research.